Friday, August 2, 2013

8.02.13


Lectio: 8.02.13                

Mt 14.1-12                                                     

Meditatio: The king was distressed, but because of his oaths and the guests who were present, he ordered that it be given, and he had John beheaded in the prison.” Mt 14.9-10

Oratio: O God, You want us to keep our word but it is not an absolute.
                       
I remember King Herod had John the Baptist beheaded because he thought he had to keep the oath he made to Herodias’ daughter - but oaths and promises are to be kept but not if they cause harm to others or to self.            

Grant that I may be ever a person of integrity and when I say ‘yes’, mean it; and when I say ‘no’, mean it. But always remember that I should never keep oaths or promises that harm others or harm the common good. I ask all these things through Jesus Christ who lives and reigns with You, and the Holy Spirit. One God, forever and ever.

Contemplatio: spend some time in silence and meditate on the selected passage and hear what God is saying to you.

Operatio: reflect on "beheaded...because ...oath”; taking an innocent life is murder; unbridled power and taking an oath to grant a person such a request, does not make it right. In prayer seek the grace to keep my promises and my oaths but to always do so provided they do not cause harm to others.

Tomorrow's reading: Lk 12.13-21

No comments:

Post a Comment