Tuesday, September 27, 2011

9/27/11

Lectio: Lk 9.57-62

“But he [Jesus] answered him, ‘Let the dead bury the dead. But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God’.” Lk 9.60

“O God, we must listen carefully what is said to us in Scripture; otherwise we can miss its meaning.

I remember Jesus is quoted as saying, ‘Let the dead bury the dead. But you go and proclaim’ - How insensitive if we take it literally but when we realize it is hyperbole used to emphasize the importance of evangelizing - it then makes much sense.

Grant that when I read Scripture and encounter difficult passages to stop and seek guidance before accepting its literal meaning.

I ask this of You who lives and reigns with Jesus and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever. Amen.

Operatio: Reflect on “Scripture” - Word of God, divinely inspired, written in the style of the time of its composition; meaning sometime obscure; but always meaningful. Resolve to pray to the Holy Spirit before reading Scripture to be with me as I engage the text so that my reading Scripture will be both fruitful and prayerful.

Tomorrow’s reading: Jn 1.47-51 (Feast of the Archangels, Michael, Gabriel and Raphael)

No comments:

Post a Comment