Sunday, May 2, 2010

Lectio Divina - The Study and Meditation on Sacred Scripture

Beginning this Church Year (November 29, 2009) I have been sharing via group e-mails the Scripture verse which struck me most from my daily use of Lectio Divina and as well as my prayer which Lectio Divina generated for me. I use one of the readings from the next day's Lectionary for my daily Lectio material. If you decide to use Lectio Divina, you can use any biblical passage to be studied including simply using my selection. For your convenience, I will end my email with the citation to the next day's Lectionary selection that I will be using. Below are the steps of Lectio Divina- the reading and studying of the divine text..

Lectio - Slowly read the chosen text in a low voice. Kiss the book of the Word. It is a love letter which is not read by making a grammatical or a logical analysis! Read it twice.

Meditatio - Ponder the text that you selected and read. Reread it for the third time. Select a word or phrase or verse that impresses you. Meditate on it. Write down this preferred word, phrase or verse and leave it in view. This will be your day's precious gem.

Oratio — Make a prayer which comes to you from your mediation on the gem. The prayer should have four parts: "0 God.... I remember..... Grant that ..... I ask this of you, who lives and reigns with Jesus and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever. Amen."

Contemplatio —Keep silence and remain still in recollection. This is a time for an elevation of the soul to God in silent waiting Silence takes the place of language in God's company.

Operatio: Take something from this study into your daily life.

I hope that my daily sharing of the results of my Lectio Divina will encourage you to make it part of your spirituality. I have been using Lectio daily since 2006 and I have found that 20" to 30" involved, was and is very small as to what I get out of it.

Father Pop-Pop


5/02/10

Lectio - Jn 14.6-14

Meditatio: “If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.” Jn 14.14

Oratio: "O God, we are so insignificant yet You are always mindful of us and respond to our needs.

I remember Jesus told Philip that if we ask anything in His name, He will do it so that You may be glorified. How! Because You dwell in Jesus.

Grant that le may approach You with my needs and ask for them in Jesus’ name knowing You will grant whatever is for my ultimate good and Your glory.

I ask this of You, who lives and reigns with Jesus and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever. Amen.”

Contemplatio: Keep silence and remain in recollection for a few minutes.

Operatio: Today, I will identify and pray for a need that will glorify the Father.

Tomorrow’s selection is from Jn14.27-31a

No comments:

Post a Comment