Sunday, August 28, 2011

8/28/11

Lectio: Mk 6.17-29

“The king [Herod] was greatly distressed, but because of his oaths and guests, he did not wish to break his word to her {Herodias’ daughter].” Mk 6.26

“ O God, You want us to keep our promises and especially our oaths provided the subject matter is right.

I remember King Herod had John the Baptist beheaded because he gave an oath that he would grant any wish that Herodias’ daughter wanted - How very wrong on Herod’s part!
Grant that I may always realize that a promise or an oath should not be likely taken but if I do give one that both my motive and the subject matter most be good in order for it to be binding and for my keeping it to be pleasing to You.

I ask this of You who lives and reigns with Jesus and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever. Amen.

Operatio: Reflect on “Oaths” and “Promises” and their keeping - Resolve to take an oath or to make a promise only if it is required of me such as being a witness in court of making a solemn vow as part of my religious vocation.

Tomorrow’s readings: Lk 4.31-37

No comments:

Post a Comment